9.11.2013

strawberry greek yogurt pancakes

I've been craving pancakes for weeks now, but between packing, moving, and unpacking, I really haven't had the time or energy to cook much. Earlier this week, though, I finally got my butt into the kitchen for more than just my typical morning bowl of oatmeal -- and I am so very glad that I did!

I'm trying to maintain a healthier lifestyle these days, so as much as I love traditional pancakes, I decided to try a recipe that actually has some health benefits. I ended up drawing from two different recipes (one from Smitten Kitchen and the other from Family Fresh Meals) and ended up with surprisingly light and fluffy pancakes full of Greek yogurt, honey, and fresh strawberries -- so good!

INGREDIENTS:
makes 3-4 medium pancakes
> 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
> 1 large egg
> 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
> 1 Tbsp honey
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
> 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
> 1/2 to 1 cup fresh strawberries
> 1 tsp sugar (optional)
> Butter, for pan

INSTRUCTIONS:
> Chop strawberries into small pieces. *Optional: In a small bowl, combine about 1/2 cup of the strawberries with 1 tsp sugar and set aside to macerate.*
> In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt, egg, vanilla, and honey. Add in salt, flour, and baking powder, then stir until wet and dry ingredients are mixed. Fold in 1/2 cup of strawberries. In a pan over medium heat, melt a small amount of butter, then add in about 1/4 cup of the batter (it's thick, so you might need to spread it out a little with a spoon). Repeat if you're pan is big enough. When you see bubbles starting to form on the top (after about 3 minutes), flip the pancake(s) and cook another 2-3 minutes.
> If you macerated strawberries, use as a delicious, naturally sweet topping!

NOTES:
I used all-purpose flour because it's what I had in my kitchen, but I hope to try these pancakes using white whole-wheat flour next time to give them even more nutritional value!

No comments:

Post a Comment