9.18.2013

"no sugar in my coffee" print


As you may know, I was an English major in college -- and as you may gather from that, I have a great love for words. In fact, I am constantly collecting and saving quotes that I come across online, in my reading, and often, from the music that I listen to. Now that I'm putting so much energy into hand-lettering, my quote collection is finally coming in handy! Rather than having to search around for something to work on, I have existing (and seemingly bottomless) resources already.

I've mentioned before how much I love Caught a Ghost and their song, No Sugar in My Coffee. I really enjoy the modern beat mixed with the sultry Motown-esque vocals, and I listen to it pretty much every day (sometimes on repeat!). Since I've clearly had the song on my mind, it was at the top of my list to use for lettering practice -- and now that I feel like I have a go-to lettering style, I've been itching to experiment more with other styles.

I really love the chalkboard effect here. To me, it seems appropriate given the unique and slightly old-school sound of the song, which also lent itself really well to a variety of lettering styles. Even though it started out as a doodle, I ended up liking the result so much that I decided to turn it into a print for my new place. (It also seemed appropriate given the amount of coffee I'll probably be drinking throughout my grad school adventure!) If you're interested, you can purchase a print here.

No comments:

Post a Comment