7.19.2013

3 awesome hand letterers



It's no secret that hand-lettering is huge right now -- and for those of you who know me, read this blog, or follow me on Pinterest, it's no secret that I am a big hand-lettering fan. I've tried my hand at it a few times and am so drawn to the sweet, personal, and perfectly-imperfect feel. Above all else, I love that despite the very many styles, each letterer still lends a unique mark to their work.

Some of my absolute favorite work comes from the three ladies mentioned above. If you're a big hand-lettering fan like me, you are no doubt already aware of their gorgeous work. Still, I felt compelled to share these three specific samples because I think, as a collection, they really illustrate what I mean about that completely personal touch that lettering brings to a design.

All three images showcase my personal favorite lettering style -- a free-flowing cursive script with beautiful little flourishes. And yet, each one has a very unique quality. Mary Kate McDevitt's letters are more linear and the flourishes allow the letters and words to interact with one another. Arley-Rose Torsone's letters have a more consistent weight, which makes the little swirls seem all the more delicate. Molly Jacques's letters have a more calligraphic feel, as if she simply sat down to write (albeit very artistically!).

I find so much inspiration from these ladies, not only in the three images above, but from each of their impressive bodies of work as well. And, of course, they're not alone -- there are so many talented letterers out there, I can barely keep track of them all (Jessica Hische and Sean McCabe are also amazing!). I can only hope to reach their level some day. Practice makes perfect, one letter at a time... Do you have a favorite letterer?

2 comments:

  1. Mary Kate McDevitt is definitely in my top 3 hand letterers. I've been really admiring her style for the past few years. Molly Jacques just popped up on my radar this year so I'm becoming familiar and inspired by her work. I haven't seen much of Arley-Rose's work but I'll definitely look out for it. My favorite hand letterer by far is still Jessica Hische. She just does amazing things with words and type in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica Hische is amazing! I also just discovered Lindsey Bee, who also has some fantastic stuff.

      Delete